Community Resources

Monongalia County assistance programs.


Christian Help, Inc- Emergency Assistance Program – This non-profit provides limited financial assistance to those in need. The amount of help can be as low as $50, but funds may be provided. The agency also provides free clothing and other household goods including baby items, food, and more from the pantry or Free Store. As far as emergency financial assistance, there may be money for paying rent, utilities, housing expenses and prescription medications. They also run a furniture exchange program and more.  Morgantown West Virginia. Call (304) 296-0221


Catholic Community Services, phone number (304) 292-6597, runs a food pantry in the area.


Christian Help, Inc. – Provides emergency free food to individuals and families. The center also usually carries staple items as well as bread, baby food and diapers. Find how to get free diapers from nation programs. (304) 296-0221

North Central West Virginia Community Action Association – Several programs are offered by this non-profit agency in Morgantown and Monongalia County West Virginia.

Low interest loans for home repairs – People who need funds to repair or make their home safe may be able to get access to low interest loans or financing. Find additional low interest loans, including from banks and lenders, credit unions and payday loan alternatives.


Weatherization – This government program can help people save potentially hundreds of dollars on their home utility and heating bills. The program works to reduce the heating and cooling cost for low-income individuals and local families (particularly for people with disabilities, the elderly, low income and families with children) by improving the energy efficiency of their homes and helping them conserve energy.

Energy bill help – The agency can refer people to energy and utility programs such as LIHEAP, West Virginia programs, and let you know how to get help from utility companies.

For Monongalia County:

Energy bill help – The agency can refer people to energy and utility programs such as LIHEAP, you can apply at your local DHHR office.


You can also contact your utility company for information on a number of different assistance programs that are available to help low-income utility customers. You can call the Dollar Energy Fund for more information:

Toll Free: (800) 683-7036


You can also phone your energy provider and inquire about their assistance programs:

Appalachian Power:1-800-982-4237


Dominion Hope: 1-800-688-4673


Mon Power: 1-800-686-0022


Potomac Edison: 1-800-686-0011


Mountaineer Gas: 1-800-834-2070


Peoples (Formally Equitable Gas): 1-800-924-2840


West Virginia American Water: 1-800-685-8660


Housing assistance is offered as part of a continuum of care. There are two emergency shelters, including Scott Place, as well as financial aid such as security deposit programs and a Homeless Recovery Service.

Other programs offered include head start and free income tax preparation.

Call the North Central West Virginia Community Action Association at (304) 363-2170.